Saturday, April 22, 2006

Della is also a slut because she's warm when she sits on your lap on a cold morning and it was a robust 2C when I looked at 8am. We are off to Robertson NSW (2 hours NE) to go to a fibre festival where I hope to meet up with some people who raise black & coloured Border Leicesters. I may even buy a whole fleece today if something catches my eye and hand.

I went through the 4 plastic boxes of spinning stash yesterday to find short fibres to practice on and also as a sort of re-familiarizing myself to exactly what's there. White Corriedale, white merino, white columbia and white merino cross. And white Finn lamb
. I see dyeing my future. For the time being I pulled out a log of dark brown Polwarth, some camel down and a bag of hand-dyed Polwarth. That's for when I finish the log of tan merino I am currently spinning. Photos soon!

Later... back from a day in the Southern Highlands spent wandering on a lovely autumn day from Robertson to Moss Vale to Berrima to Sutton Forest and home. Robertson for pies from the world famous pie shop, lovely cheese and gourmet foods from the Cheese Factory (and yes, the yarn shop in the same building sells nothing but novelty yarns), then to the (much smaller than expected) wool fair, where we apparently were too late (1PM) to see the best wool. I did buy some grey Border Leicester and admired 3 black sheep. I had a long conversation with Petlyn Alpacas folks who also make wool combs. We agreed to meet again in Bendigo in July and I would buy a warping frame and also probably a pair of mini-combs. These nice people should not be confused with Petlin's spinning and weaving supplies in Sydney (although I did confuse them). In Moss Vale we looked at some god-awful antiques; in Berrima we only looked at used books and only bought 3. Can you fathom we only bought 3 books in a huge barn full of books? Then to Sutton Forest and A Little Piece of Scotland for shortbread and a coffee mug with the Anderson clan insignia on it and a scottie pin for my Scottie-loving friend CR.

Ah, Della has her first rival for my lap. The Imp is looking at this thing Mummy has in her lap with some curiosity, but she is mostly interested in washing her face after supper. Since she is now actually sitting on my arm, I'd better post this

No comments: