Thursday, October 24, 2019

Gosh! This daily posting can be a grind! Just kidding. If I stop getting hits, I’ll stop.  Or if you tell me I am not writing what you want to read. Want me to rant against the entity that sometimes resides in the White House? Be glad to oblige,  but my close friends have already heard it, and most Australians I have met can’t understand either technically or rationally how we put him in office. These are the days when I’m very glad to be a long way away and I don’t read/listen/watch news because of the drivel it contains.

On that note I just finished watching season 2 of “The Good Fight” and thought it was terrific. Great legal cases, mostly relevant to our time, a great cast. I get it on Stan. I have no idea where it is broadcast elsewhere. And speaking of Chicago (because that’s where the series takes place), I listened to Michelle Obama narrate her own autobiography. This was my first experience in a long time in listening rather than reading. I found the experience somewhat annoying in that you have a person talking at you for (in this case) 14 hours and it lost its appeal along the line. She has a slight speech problem which as a linguist grated. Her book was absolutely great and I highly recommend it. She is a great woman aside from putting up with being First Lady. I thought it interesting that she accounted in detail Laura Bush welcoming her to the White House and showing her around, but not a mention about her successor. Hmmm. It was illuminating to hear about how the couple got together and worked their way up. Also the behind the scenes at the White House including how much the Obamas had to pay out of their own pockets for daily living. Of course a billionaire like the Donald will have no problem with that or will get somebody else to pay for it. I always had mixed feelings about Chicago. I visited very frequently for business and rarely had any time to explore. I am also a New Yorker born and bred and Chicago will always be the Second City. Also it was usually freezing when I went for library conventions and I hated plowing through snow drifts. I enjoyed shopping and eating out. There is/was a great German restaurant I think in what’s called the Loop that brewed its own beer and served game on the menu. I had several memorable meals there.

Today I got out and did a few things. I had another blood test done and while we were in the small shopping centre, J spotted a hairdresser who didn’t look busy. He asked if he would do a quickie haircut. Yes! I got a very basic cut which cost all of $33. The hairdresser knew all about Pasturella because he raises meat rabbits and they carry it and are susceptible to it. We also drove around a bit because it was a beautiful day. Then I came home and had excruciating pain in my leg. I wanted to watch the first World Series game and I managed to sit in the lounge room for 5 innings where the Nats beak the Astros which was very comforting. If they can do that in Houston, maybe they can do this. Go Nats!  Then (after dinner) I went back to bed in great pain. Crying and swearing were involved. I tried watching tv on my iPad, but it was pretty bad. Copious amounts of wine helped and it’s now quiet so maybe I can sleep tonight. I regret to admit that I have been drinking when I can’t sleep and sometimes for the pain. Sometimes it’s wine, sometimes tequila or scotch. Unfortunately I’ve discovered that for me the only spirits (liquor to Americans) I can drink straight up are expensive ones. So I have great single malts, and lovely tequila. It’s not a habit I like to indulge in but it does dull the noise in my brain.

Sleep well.

No comments: