Friday, July 05, 2024

 I just got an ad from USA Foods, the store in Melbourne that sells American delicacies. Unfortunately they remain out of stock of the things I really want (clam chowder, Crystal Lite drink mix) while I remain in stock here with things like Rice Chex, A & W cream soda. Since I don’t cook anymore, there’s no point in buying things that require use of the oven.  I know there are many Yank expats who crave good Mexican food but I’m not one of them. While I can get Turkish, Singapore, Indian, Greek and other luscious cuisines, Mexican is not high on my list. Mexican usually leads to intestinal upsets from my sensitive gut.  I would love to bake or make bbq but standing is a dangerous proposition. I once managed to fall and break my shoulder merely attempting to close the refrigerator door. 

My bouts of insomnia continue no matter what I try. Reading, doing jigsaw puzzles, watching my new YouTube favourite Baumgartner Fine Art Restoration where I can honestly say watching paint dry does not put me to sleep. One thing that does help is putting the works of Liquid Mind on shuffle. The person behind the name actually works with music therapists but it’s still not a certainty for me. 

Long ago in blog years I described my reading habits and I know I’ve picked up a few new readers, so I’ll recap. I largely alternate science fiction and mysteries. No fantasy, please, and I’m off military sf. I’m partial to first contact, time travel, exploration, and alien civilisations. I am a die-hard Star Trek fan of all series except Discovery. Mysteries are usually historical, from the Middle Ages to 1930’s Sri Lanka. I occasionally read something contemporary but that’s usually saved for TV. Every now and then I’ll add a Regency romance or a Japanese or Scottish romance. At night I have my Big Boring Bedtime Books, nonfiction, sometimes biography but mostly history or science. My first husband got me hooked on English history and I now know way more than is probably good for me. On the other hand, I rarely read about Aussie history. I feel like it’s forced down my throat and I read a lot when I was first was falling in love with the country.

Because everything happens on my iPad, my hands get very sore. Like they are right now so I will stop and pick up later with particulars of reading likes and dislikes. 

No comments: