Tuesday, April 03, 2018

I have to admit I have one true addiction and that is to automobiles. I can read about them all day, drool over photographs, and sigh about descriptions of engine sound. This dates back to my childhood in the 1950’s when I took it as a matter of pride that I could identify every new model Detroit produced in the days when a new model came out every year. I love driving fast as well, and my Ohio friends will remember my little red pocket rocket, my FX/16, which was rated to 140mph, although the fastest I got in it was 115mph due to the fear of my passenger. I was a big street rod fan and loved when the National meet was in Columbus. J and I spent a lot of time ogling cars. I wanted to find a 1948 Plymouth coupe like my mother drove when I was young. It was a true classic. Real hot rods don’t interest me; I like the creature comforts of a modified car.

I never have been much of a racing fan, though and can’t get enthused over fancy technological marvels that race around a track. Something approaching true stock cars racing and not the boring NASCAR or Aussie V8 shootouts. Formula one leaves me cold. I don’t want to watch cars go fast; I want be behind the wheel.  In the past year or so I’ve gotten into classic cars ranging from 1930’s models through Jags and such in the 60’s, to current Supercars like the Bugatti Veyron. My long time passion has been Lamborghinis ever since I saw my first Countach. I’d love to drive one but with my current mobility issues I don’t think I could get in it, or more importantly get out. So instead I have posters on my study wall like a teenaged boy.

I’ve learned appreciate the fine points of “brass cars” as pictured below, restored cars vs. all original cars, sports cars and touring cars, Dusenburgx, Bugatti’s old and new, and current customisers. I wish I had the money to get a custom car. It would be very hard to choose what exactly I want. I’m currently thinking about replacing my beloved Mazda 3 with something larger because I need to get a motorised scooter in the back and a hoist to lift it in and out. So instead of sports cars, I’m looking at SUVs. Dreams have their limits, sadly.



No comments: